Monument record RMS 011 - Possible Prehistoric or Roman double-ditched rectilinear enclosure
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3176 4151 (752m by 461m)|
|Civil Parish||RAMSHOLT, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
- RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC to 409 AD (at some time))
- DOUBLE DITCHED ENCLOSURE (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC to 409 AD (at some time))
- CURVILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- LINEAR FEATURE (Unknown date)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Unknown date)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC? to 409 AD?)
Part of a double-ditched rectilinear enclosure; some short lengths of cropmarks immediately to the E. Two ring ditches, RMS 009 and RMS 010, each associated with a small enclosure to the W, with possible further field boundaries to the N of these (S1) (S2).
IA pottery and Rom pottery and metalwork found in area centring n the double ditched enclosure (S3).
Also IA, Sax, Rom & Med.
Two sides of a possible Prehistoric or Roman double-ditched enclosure, centred on TM 31714165, can be seen as cropmarks on the photographs mentioned above. (S1) (S2) The rectilinear enclosure appears to overlay numerous other features, including two possible curvilinear enclosures centred on TM 31694167 and TM 31744168 and numerous other linear features. The relationship between the enclosure and the other features is unclear. There are also a number of other linear ditched features in the field just to the south of the double-ditched enclosure (S2) (S4) and another possible enclosure centred on TM 31864165 (S1) although this enclosure is less convincing. The metalwork found on this site may not relate to the cropmark features. (S5)
See RMS 009 and RMS 010 for the nearby ring ditches.
February 2016. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Beauty National Mapping Programme.
The site has been extended slightly to include additional mapping to the east and south visible on aerial photographs (S6-S8). Some of the features, in particular field boundaries, continue into ADT 003. The division to the between the sites is fairly arbitrary.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 16th February 2016.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BXH88) 16-JUN-1976.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP, BXH 88, CJG 11.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (CJG11) 10-JUL-1979.
- <S3> SSF4936 (No record type): Damant R & Blow J, per SAU, Ipswich, 1990.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/80:Part I 5009-5010 28-JUL-1948.
- <S5> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome, 2001.
- <S6> SSF55746 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique aerial photograph. SFU 11570/GN/3 04-AUG-1977 (EHA Original Print).
- <S7> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/58/80 V 5008-5009 28-JUL-1948 (EHA Original Print).
- <S8> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 25-MAY-2011 ACCESSED 12-JAN-2016 (Digital).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Related to: 1996: Metal detector find (number 216) of Sax bronze pin fragment - head & short shaft. (Sax) (Find Spot) (RMS 011)
- Related to: Prehistoric or Roman cropmark settlement site consisting of enclosures and trackways. (Preh) (Monument) (ADT 003)
- Related to: Scatter of pottery and metalwork found metal detecting. (Rom) (Monument) (RMS 011)
- Related to: Three buckles, one of strap end type with gilded plate (cf Nacton 033) found metal detecting. (Med) (Monument) (RMS 011)
- Related to: Two sherds of hand-made flint tempered pottery found with mainly Rom group while metal detecting. (Preh) (Monument) (RMS 011)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Interpretation: Suffolk Coast and Intertidal Zone NMP Project (EXS18033)
- Event - Interpretation: TM34SW. Mapping Block 3: Sutton to Hollesley. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085 (ESF23666)) (ESF23666)
Record last edited
May 3 2016 2:52PM