Monument record SXM 049 - Land North-east of Street Farm, Saxmundham
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3895 6348 (137m by 268m)|
|Civil Parish||SAXMUNDHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
2017: Evaluation identified archaeological remains across the site. All the archaeological features cut through layers of colluvium. The remains generally consisted of pits, post holes, and ditches. Finds were generally low with several features being devoid of dateable material. The majority of the cut features are thought to be Iron Age, with struck flint, pottery, fired clay, and a complete loomweight being recovered from pits and ditches. Finds collected from the surface of the colluvium indicate a long-term process of soil accumulation and incorporate finds from the Neolithic through to the early post-medieval. Percieved Anglo-Saxon remains were also identified however the absence of finds precluded defintive dating. Two sides of a rectangular post hole structure were recorded and tentatively interpreted as an Anglo-Saxon hall. Two gullies ran parallel with the structure to the immediate north and could potentially be associated. Trenchees across the southern half of the site reveal post-medieval field boundary ditches, relating to cultivation (S1).
- --- SSF58264 Unpublished document: Bush, L.. 2017. Archaeological Evaluation Report: Land north-east of Street Farm, Saxmundham.
- FSF46540: BUCKLE (Post Medieval to IPS: Modern - 1540 AD to 2050 AD)
- FSF46541: HAWK BELL (17th century to 18th century - 1600 AD? to 1799 AD?)
- FSF46542: BLADELET (Star Carr Type Mesolithic to Early Neolithic - 9000 BC to 3001 BC)
- FSF46543: FLAKE (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF46544: POTTERY (Early Iron Age - 800 BC to 401 BC)
- FSF46545: POTTERY (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF46546: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF46547: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF46548: CERAMIC (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF46549: CERAMIC (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF51239: END SCRAPER (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF51240: BLADE (Star Carr Type Mesolithic to Early Neolithic - 9000 BC to 3001 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 6 2022 1:41PM