Monument record ARG 104 - Land to the east of Aldeburgh Road, Aldringham Cum Thorpe.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4465 6120 (205m by 140m)|
|Civil Parish||ALDRINGHAM CUM THORPE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
2018: Evaluation trenching identified two ditches and a pit of Early Iron Age date in the west of the site. A single medieval pit was present in the south-central part of the site. Other undated or poorly-dated remains could have been of similar date, though no cohesive patterning was apparent. A single demonstrably post-medieval ditch was identified. The majority of the recorded pits and ditches within the sites were undated. A number of the ditches conformed to various parallel alignments, some perpendicular to one another, and may consititute multiphases rectilinear field systems, most likely of earlier post-medieval and/or medieval date (S1).
Included in the Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History annual round up of individual finds and discoveries for 2018. (S2).
Not split into Mesolithic a record as the were given flints have broad date and probably residual. Also seem to be from area of EIA activity as revealed by excavation, this could have bearing on interpretation. PXA is in prep (S3).
- <S1> SSF58709 Unpublished document: Carvey, C.. 2018. Archaeological Evaluation Report: Land east of Aldeburgh Road, Aldringham.
- <S2> SSF59230 Article in serial: Minter, F., Rolfe, J. and Saunders, A.. 2019. Archaeology in Suffolk 2018, Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History.
- <S3> SSF59348 Personal Correspondence: Cutler, Hannah. 2019. Personal Observations as part of the Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods project.
- FSF48121: CORE (Star Carr Type Mesolithic to Early Bronze Age - 9000 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF48122: POTTERY (Early Iron Age - 800 BC to 401 BC)
- FSF48123: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF48124: CERAMIC (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48125: FIRED CLAY (Undated)
- FSF48126: SLAG (Unknown date)
- FSF48127: ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- FSF49656: FLAKE (Star Carr Type Mesolithic to Early Bronze Age - 9000 BC to 1501 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Interpretation: Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods (ESF26899)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation - Land to the east of Aldeburgh Road, Aldringham cum Thorpe (ESF25997)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation - Land east of Aldeburgh Road, Aldringham cum Thorpe (Ref: OASIS-preconst1-340749) (ESF26561)
Record last edited
Nov 4 2019 3:11PM