Farmstead record BLX 041 - Farmstead: Grove Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3748 5772 (115m by 163m)|
|Civil Parish||BLAXHALL, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
- FARMSTEAD (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD U PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD L PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- LINEAR PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- BARN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Grove Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed OS map and the Blaxhall Tithe map. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the working buildings. It is listed and dated to the early 18th century. The farmstead is laid out in a U-plan courtyard with additional L-plan and linear ranges. The U-plan has been completely lost along with the short arm of the L-plan, with large modern working buidlings now on site, representing significant loss. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in an isolated position.
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSF59194 Map: Blaxhall Tithe Map.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 24 2019 3:33PM