Monument record IKL 361 - Earthworks most likely relating to a post medieval plantation.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
No mapped location recorded.
Type and Period (7)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- MOUND? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- PLANTATION BANK? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY BANK? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY DITCH? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
June 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
Banks, ditches and a raised area, most likely post medieval in date, are seen as earthworks on aerial photographs and visualised lidar data (S1-S2). The earthworks consist of a U shaped bank and a ditched area with a raised banked centre. The features can be seen as earthworks on the 1940s aerial photographs and on the recent (2015) lidar visualisations. The features most likely relate to a cross shaped plantation seen on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map (S3) and the features are in close proximity to the possible control tower of the former Second World War bombing range at Berners Heath (IKL 353).
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 21st June 2019.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1801 RS 3174-3175 25-OCT-1946 (HEA Original Print).
- <S2> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Kings Forest Research 0.5m DTM 15-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- <S3> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Frist Edition Ordnance Survey Map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 12 2020 11:49AM