Monument record IKL 371 - Multiple probable post medieval boundary banks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
No mapped location recorded.
Type and Period (9)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BOUNDARY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY BANK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PARISH BOUNDARY? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PLANTATION BANK? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY DITCH? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
August 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
Multiple earthwork banks, of a probable post medieval date, are seen on visualised lidar data (S1). The banks most likely relate to post medieval boundary banks, tree belts, plantation boundaries and medieval- post medieval parish boundary banks between the parishes of Icklingham and West Stow. The banks are situated along the alignment of the Icknield way and are similar to further banks along the Icknield way to the north (IKL 364). The banks have been mapped principally form the visualised lidar data as the majority of the banks are under the forest canopy. However some sections of bank can be seen in between the trees on the aerial photographs. Some of the banks are recorded on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map (S2).The banks in the south of the record are close to two area of possible earthwork ridges (WSW 158 and WSW 202) seen on the visualised lidar data.
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 21st August 2019.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 12 2020 3:53PM