Farmstead record SNH 045 - Farmstead: Stratton Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2443 3872 (105m by 147m)|
|Civil Parish||STRATTON HALL, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- FARMSTEAD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD MULTI YARD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD U PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD T PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD L PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- BARN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Stratton Hall is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a multi-yard pattern with U-plan, T-plan, and L-plan ranges. The farmhouse is attached to the L-plan range. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in an isolated location. There has been a partial loss of working buildings with some of the remaining converted for residential use. There are modern sheds on site.
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 7 2019 11:06AM