Monument record BNH 171 - An area of probable post medieval boundary banks and ditches.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||BARNHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
No mapped location recorded.
Type and Period (10)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY BANK? (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY BANK? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY DITCH? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY DITCH? (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY? (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
January 2020. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
Multiple banks and ditches, of a possible post medieval date, are seen as earthworks (which have subsequently been levelled) on aerial photographs (S1-S2). The banks and ditches most likely related to post medieval boundary banks and ditches. The features are in very close relation to a medieval -post medieval square enclosure (BNH 170) and its possible that the banks and ditches may have related to the enclosure. The features can be seen as earthworks in the 1940s, levelled by the 1950s and subsequently seen as cropmarks (S2). The possible boundary banks and ditches are approximately 500m to the north of the possible location of Wordwell Warren (WRW 043) and to the east of a further area of probable post medieval banks (BNH 129). The banks and ditches are not seen on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map (S3).
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 16th January 2020.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/LA/129 FP 1103-1104 14-FEB-1945 (HEA Original Print).
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/82/1208 F22 0131-0132 02-JUN-1955 (HEA Original Print).
- <S3> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Frist Edition Ordnance Survey Map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 4 2020 12:22PM