Monument record WHR 029 - Cropmark of a subrectangular enclosure and possible trackway of unknown date, see details.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 171 404 (229m by 323m)|
|Civil Parish||WHERSTEAD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Remains of subrectangular enclosure, NE side against river bank and no ditch apparent. Parallel ditches run across near SW corner running SW-NE, presumably post-dating the enclosure (S1)(S2).
An enclosure and possible trackway of unknown date are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs, in the field to the south of Redgate Farm in Wherstead parish, centred on TM 17194048. The enclosure is rectilinear in shape and its eastern side is truncated by the modern seabank. There is a possible entrance at TM 17114055 on the western side of the enclosure. There is also a stretch of possible trackway at TM 17254038 but many of the other linear features have not been drawn as they appear as field boundaries on the 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey 25" maps of circa 1884 and 1904. (S1-S5)
- <S1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1740/3 (SFU 11563/13) 21-JUL-1977.
- <M1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. APs: SAU AGF 13; Mrs McMasters 95.
- <S2> SSF11073 (No record type): McMasters, I.. McMasters Mrs, AP 95, 20-JUL-1977.
- <S3> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1740/2 (SFU 11560/GC/4) XX-JUL-1977.
- <S4> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. circa 1884.
- <S5> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". circa 1904.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 31 2006 9:39AM