Find Spot record IPS 012 - Bolton & Pipes Brickfield, Dales Road, (IAS 8005), (Palaeolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TM 1566 4657 (point)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (0)
1906: "Lower Paleolithic implements" found.
There is some confusion as to which finds this refers, possibly items found by Moir in later excavations (see IAS 8006/IPS 010).
Most of the deposits and artefacts found by Reid Moir were not Palaeolithic - some objects were natural "eoliths" though there are some rolled flakes and a very rolled crude hand-axe in IPSMG. Much of the material and the "floors'"are of Neolithic date with thick hillwash layers overlying (S1).
See also (S2-S5).
- --- SSF57698 Unpublished document: IPSMG. Ipswich Museum Extension Books.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM14NE2.
- <S2> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia. Pg. 217-219.
- <S3> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 8005.
- <S4> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 8005.
- <S5> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. 1929-4, 1929-153, 1931-61, 1932-36, 1932-45, 1932-53, 1932-94.
- <S5> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. 1932-108, 1933-247, 1935-119, 1936-98.7, 962-231.
- <S6> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 22737.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 16 2020 4:30PM