Monument record IPS 024 - Double circle Ring Ditch, Ipswich Airport, Ipswich, (IAS 9108).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1968 4123 (23m by 22m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Double circle ring ditch at TM 1972 4129 approximately (revised from TM 198 413). Diameter not measureable from AP. A mound is shown at or close to this point on Hodskinson's map of 1783 (S2). The area was then extra parochial part of Alnesburne Priory, a contemporary estate map dated 1770 does not show the mound but calls the field `Mount Lay' (S3) see IPS 027.
1999-2000: confirmed by trenching (SCCAS) during Ipswich Airport evaluation work - see IPS 399 (S4, S5).
2008: 'southern third or so has been severely compromised by three anti-traveller trenches excavated in the last few years [by Borough Council?] on the side closest to the road to Alnesbourn. One trench is c800mm x 800mm and the other two a bit smaller but not good' (S5).
Location re-mapped on HER map to conform with 1999-2000 trenching (located by TST) to TM 1968 4123. Diameter estimated to be 30m for outer ring, 17m for inner ring.
2008: Monitoring of a cable trench revealed a section through ringditch IPS 024, although it was not possible to record other than photographically (S6).
See also (S7-S9).
- <S1> SSF18409 Photograph: SAU?. SAU, AP AED 17 (copy of McMasters HER 137). SAU, AP AED 17 (copy of McMasters HER 137).
- <S2> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S3> SSF21540 Cartographic materials: 1770. SRO (Ipswich) HA93/12/38, map of South part of Harpers Farm. SRO (Ipswich) HA93/12/38, map of South part of Harpers Farm, 1770.
- <S4> SSF56559 E-mail: Newman J. 2008. John Newman to Colin Pendleton, 21 October 2008. John Newman to Colin Pendleton, 21 October 2008.
- <S5> SSF52525 Unpublished document: Bales E, Good C and Meredith J (SCCAS). 2006. SCCAS Eval & Exc report. Ravenswood, Former Ipswich Airport, Ipswich. Bales E, Good C & Meredith J, SCCAS report 2006/229, ill.
- <S6> SSF50768 Unpublished document: Cass, S.. 2009. Archaeological Monitoring Report, Cliff Quay to Nacton Undergrounding of High Voltage Cable, Ipswich to Nacton, IPS Misc and Nac Misc.
- <S7> SSF3832 Article in serial: Colchester Archaeological Group. 1975. Colchester Archaeol Group Bull, 18, 1975. Colchester Archaeol Group Bull, 18, 1975, 25.
- <S8> SSF47073 Photograph: Farrands. 1977. AED 17; Farrands 168.7. APs: AED 17; Farrands 168.7.
- <S9> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. 1948.125, 936.99.4.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 4 2021 1:11PM