Monument record IPS 057 - Kesteven Road, Ipswich, (IAS 9504).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1544 4353 (55m by 49m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
1943: Hearth had been excavated in 1943 by H Spencer, IPSMG (not recorded) but no pottery or flints had been found.
1946: Excavated by Basil Brown, July 1946
1946-1947: Further excavation by Brown October 1946-1947
Several areas of hard trodden sand with embedded crumbs of pottery and charcoal. No trace of wall structure. One sunken hearth containing pottery and a quantity of clay.
Finds: pottery (plain), flints including possible sickle, sandstone saddle querns. Cutting end of polished flint axe.
Brown records various hearth sites in his notes, with many sketches and also gives drawings of Mildenhall ware pottery found on site.
- --- SSF57698 Unpublished document: IPSMG. Ipswich Museum Extension Books.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, IX, 2-21; XXXVIII, 57; LXVII, 76-80, 101-109,111,112,114-120; XC, BIW 1,2,4,5,12-19, BIX 3,.
- <S2> SSF5765 Source Unchecked: Erskine R W H, Ms. 1950. Erskine R W H, Ms, notebook, 48,49, 1950. Erskine R W H, Ms, notebook, 48,49, 1950.
- <S3> SSF11009 Article in serial: Maynard, G.. 1950. Recent archaeological field work in Suffolk. Maynard, PSIA 25, 1950, 212-213.
- <S4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM14SE63.
- <S5> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. 1946.231.
- <S6> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, site plans.
- <S7> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S8> SSF59942 Index: Historic England. Related Archives/Objects from NRHE. P03992, P04048, P04052-P04056, P04063-P04070, P11229.
- FSF4560: POTTERY (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- FSF4561: WORKED OBJECT (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- FSF4562: QUERN (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- FSF4563: POLISHED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- FSF4564: SICKLE (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- FSF628: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD? to 1100 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
May 24 2021 2:00PM