Monument record IPS 135 - Church of St John the Baptist, Cauldwell, Ipswich, (IAS 8704).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 181 447 (306m by 186m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Church, Graveyard, site of. Church of St John The Baptist, Cauldwell (note the parish of Cauldwell ceased to exist in the mid 13th century). In field almost opposite to Caldwell Hall, now called Cold Hall, to the south of the road leading to Kesgrave. No vestige remains, though human bones and fragments of building are frequently dug up. Located to TM 1800 4407 (S1). The source of this information is G R Clarke's 'History of Ipswich, published in 1830 (S2). In East Anglian Miscellany (S6) it states 'The church of St John … stood upon the south side of Spring Road. The present Upland Road was made through its ancient cemetery' (S2, S6).
Listed in Taxation of Norwich 1254. " It was impropriated to Holy Trinity Priory and granted with that to Sir Thomas Pope". It was mentioned in Sir Thomas Pope's second and final will of 1582, so was still standing then (S5). Also drawn in 1623 (S4).
Relocated (from TM 181 448) on HER map (after S6) to large area of Upland Road just south of Spring Road (TM 1804 4477), though exact location still needs to be determined (possibly in an an extent of the manor of Cauldwell of 1485-1509 in the British Library (Stowe Ch.401)(S2).
1998: Desk based assessment (S2, S3).
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM14SE64.
- <S2> SSF56457 Source Unchecked: Breen, A.. 1998. Desk Based Assessment, St. John's Church, Ipswich..
- <S3> SSF51400 Unpublished document: Loader, T.. 1998. Evaluation report. Land at 10 St. John's Road, Ipswich.
- <S4> SSF56454 Article in serial: Fairclough, John and S. J. Plunkett. 2000. Drawings ofWalton Castle and other monuments in Walton and Felixstowe.
- <S5> SSF50082 Verbal communication: Personal communication. Brown K, Ipswich St Johns Local History Recorder, letter to SAU, June 2001.
- <S6> SSF56456 Source Unchecked: 1909. East Anglian Miscellany 3, 14, March 1909..
- <S7> SSF3613 Bibliographic reference: Clarke, G, R.. 1830. History of Ipswich. Clarke G R, History of Ipswich, 1830.
- <S8> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 24 2021 2:04PM