Monument record KSY 001 - Kersey Priory (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9991 4442 (214m by 144m)|
|Civil Parish||KERSEY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Priory, Augustinian, founded 1219 (latest).
Originally a hospital dedicated to St Mary the Blessed Virgin and St Anthony under rule of Austin Canons (circa 1218) soon converted to Augustinian Priory.
Dissolved 1443, 1444 endowments given to Kings College, Cambridge. Priory impoverished in 1347 so that prior and canons could not be properly supported.
Excavated by Dickinson (1958), recovered the plan of the church and discovered the W range to have been the early C13 wooden hospital converted into the Prior's house. Further excavation revealed the E wall of the church - 156 feet long, and the foundations of three of the pillars of the central tower. Priory chapel has been restored and is used as a stable (grade 2 listed building).
DOE remains consist of:
1. S choir aisle with ruins of S wall of choir and pier of crossing, mid C13, widened circa 1400, later a stable.
2. Kitchen, square, timber roof (late Med) once free standing, now joined to house.
3. Possibly part of W range and W wall of the nave, built into the present C16/C17 house and adjoining gardens (S1).
- <R1> SSF10387 (No record type): Knowles, D. & Hadcock, R.N.. 1953. Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales (1st ed). Knowles D & Hadcock R N, Stone J W, Med Rel Houses, 1953, 141, 280.
- <M1> SSF42872 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <R2> SSF11166 (No record type): Messent, C.J.W.. 1934. The Monastic Remains of Norfolk and Suffolk. Messent C J W, Mon Rems of Norf & Suff, 1934, 139.
- <M2> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. AP: ALN 4.
- <S2> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, TL 998 444, JFX 5-9, 20 July 1992.
- <R3> SSF11133 (No record type): Med Arch, 3, 1959, 306.
- <S3> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, TL 998 444, JGG 1-4, 20 July 1992.
- <S3> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <R4> SSF11135 (No record type): Med Arch, 8, 1964, 244.
- <S4> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS 6" 1924-38..
- <R5> SSF50048 Bibliographic reference: Victoria County History of Suffolk (Vol I 1911; Vol II 1907). VCH Suffolk, 2, 107-108.
- <S5> SSF59814 Index: DoE. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. DOE (HHR) District of Babergh, Jul-1980, 142.
- <R6> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 11, 216.
- <R7> SSF11393 (No record type): Min of H & L G Prov List, 2018/11/A.47.
- <R8> SSF5211 (No record type): DOE (HHR), Cosford Road, Suffolk, 1947, 47.
- <R9> SSF5155 (No record type): Dickinson, J C, The Orig of Austin Canons & their Intro into Eng, 1950.
- <R10> SSF4194 (No record type): Cox Russell J, The Clerical Population in Med Eng, Traditio, 1944.
- <R11> SSF1064 (No record type): Barker, H.R.. Barker H R, West Suff Illus, 1907, 221.
- <R12> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL94SE1,2.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Dickinson J C (Ref: Dickinson J C) (ESF15460)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Dickinson P G M (Ref: Dickinson P G M) (ESF16061)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Corbishley M J) (Ref: DOE (Corbishley M J)) (ESF13527)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (Ref: OS) (ESF12843)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS (Ref: OS) (ESF14455)
Record last edited
Mar 19 2021 1:44PM