Monument record BIL 001 - Bildeston Hall (site of)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9841 4917 (189m by 239m)|
|Civil Parish||BILDESTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Moat, circular, circa 75m in diameter, survived to a depth of 2.0m and was circa 16m in average width. Bulldozed 1974 and partly built over. N half may have been filled in earlier to accommodate Bildeston Hall. To S a sub- rectangular marshy depression, circa 55m x 16m, may have been a fish pond. To S and E linear depressions, possible hollow ways of a deserted Med village levelled and ploughed, 1973 (S1)(R1).
Large quantities of C13 pottery now appearing (1975-1976).
Loueynes were Lords of the Manor in C13.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL96NE6.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
- <R1> SSF5133 (No record type): Dickinson P G M, Suffolk (The Little Guides), 1957, 72.
- <M2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP PQ 8,9 149/986492, BJQ 5.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP BJQ 5, 15 July 1972.
- <R2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP PQ 8,9 149/986492.
- <S3> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, TL 985 491, JGF 11-13, 20 July 1992.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Oct 6 2014 1:23PM