Monument record GSG 005 - Medieval clamp kiln floors. (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 084 723 (335m by 321m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||GISLINGHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
TM 0842 7232/TM0835 7228 ? clamp kiln floors.
Med sherds including Grimston ware.
Basil Brown defined this site as Swatshall or Swattisfield Hall and noted that an old bridge had stood here in 1932 but was demolished by 1935 when Rev T A Pytches visited the site and reported seeing a large earthwork, remains of a moat and part of an old bridge. Early Med sherds were found in vicinity and field to E. C12, C13 unglazed pottery is noted and indications of black patches and kiln sites on this field (S1).
This building seems to tie up with cropmarks noted under 05566. See also Un.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XII, 50; XXV, 15; LXXII, 136, 137; card index 141, 142.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index.
- <R1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 958-224, 1958.
- <S2> SSF18985 Bibliographic reference: 1999. PSIA. PSIA, 28, 1958, 91.
- <R2> SSF5772 (No record type): ESCC, AP 09/8184.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 30 2013 8:27AM