Monument record LMD 059 - Withindale Pit, Formerly Great Eastern Railway Ballast Pit, Long Melford.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8580 4430 (197m by 200m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LONG MELFORD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Pre 1897: Moir (S4) describes a gravel from which mammalian remains had been recovered and about 1.50m of a very chalky unstratified gravel. He does not mention any palaeoliths although Evans (S3) credits Mr Prigg with one or two and a portion of mammoth tooth (S1-S6).
- <S1> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia. 198.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL34SE5.
- <S3> SSF6117 Bibliographic reference: Evans, J.. 1897. The Ancient Stone implements, weapons and ornaments of Great Britain.
- <S4> SSF16517 Bibliographic reference: Moir J R. 1939. Excavations at Brundon, Suffolk (1935-37): Part 1: Stratigraphy and archaeology.
- <S5> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 260.
- <S5> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 22793.
- <S6> SSF7592 Article in serial: Holden, J. S. 1910. The existence of an early palaeolithic bed beneath the glacial boulder clays in South West Suffolk. PSIA, 14, 1910, (1), 6-8 (ill).
- <S7> SSF59954 Source Unchecked: 1924. RONB 1924. 51.
- <S8> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 JHO 09-SEP-50.
- <S9> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Archaeological Deposit: Deposit, Withindale Pit, Formerly Great Eastern Railway Ballast Pit, Long Melford. (ESF28335)
- Event - Interpretation: Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods (ESF26899)
- Event - Intervention: Unknown Event(s)? Withindale Pit, Formerly Great Eastern Railway Ballast Pit, Long Melford. (ESF27632)
Record last edited
Mar 5 2021 11:39AM