Monument record HVH 005 - Camps Road; Church of St Botolph; Crowland Road (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6665 4543 (84m by 65m)|
|Civil Parish||HAVERHILL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Site of St Botolph's Church.
November 1854: 'When digging a gateway in 'Bove Town', or 'Button End' Churchyard, next to the cottage, many bones were found.... details in (S3). Also details of 1855 church excavations in (S3).
1862: Visit by SIA to '(Button End) Churchyard, where a part of the foundations of a very small Norman apsidal church had been exposed to view for the gratification of visitors...' (S2)
1991: Trial assessment trenches failed to locate church but numerous inhumations located (S1).
1997: Excavation of part of churchyard by Hertfordshire Archaeological Trust - 355 graves with evidence of coffins, 'pillow stones' and possible dress fittings. Churchyard boundary ditches were also identified. Details in (S4 - though not full archive) & (S5).
Also Preh, Rom (both residual) & Sax.
Excavations of the old church at Haverhill by W W Boreham in 1885 exposed foundations of flint rubble 4 1/2 ft thick. The north wall was 38ft long: the east end, 20ft inside, was circular. Burials were found inside this area oriented east-west, some with indications of coffins. A skeleton in a
sitting position was found within the circular wall, facing east. A Roman bronze ring, some Roman and "Monkish" tiles and some fragments of coloured glass were also found. This chapel
existed as early as 1392 and belonged to Castle Acre Priory, Norfolk.
St Botolph's Church (site of) applies to the site of an ancient church situated in Burton End, Havershill, and near the junction of Crowland Road with Camps Road. This church belonged to Castle Acre Priory.
Site now occupied by a row of houses
- <S1> SSF20823 (No record type): SAU, Tester A, 1991.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL 64NE10.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
- <M2> SSF44086 (No record type): Excavation archive: summary, drawings.
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA 3, 1863, (3), 416.
- <S3> SSF3719 (No record type): Clay C, PSIA 4, 1868, 102.
- <S5> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Murray J, 'Excavation of a Medieval Cemetery at Crowland road, Haverhill', PSIAH, 41 (1), 2005, 5-42.
- FSF24515: TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF29020: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF29021: COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF29022: BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF29023: BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF29024: BRACELET (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF52204: RING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF52205: TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Intervention: Boreham W W (Ref: ) (ESF18066)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by HDAG (Danks P) (Ref: HDAG (Danks P)) (ESF15615)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by SAU (Ref: SAU) (ESF16082)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, Crowland Road, Haverhill (ESF21043)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS (Ref: OS) (ESF14530)
Record last edited
Nov 11 2020 1:02PM