Monument record HWS 005 - All Saints Church
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8557 5925 (74m by 72m)|
|Civil Parish||HAWSTEAD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Church of All Saints.
Remains of two crosses:-
1. TL 8556 5926 - socket stone and fluted shaft.
2. TL 8555 5925 - socket and stump shaft with remains of a sundial (R1)(R3).
"In 1887 while alterations were being made for the organ, traces of the original floor were discovered, the level being the same as the tomb of the Crusader on the N side. In the earth that was removed, several pieces of stained glass were found." (S1)(R2).
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL85NE2 (ill).
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XXIII, 87.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume.
- <R2> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 169.
- <R3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA 2, 1859, 9.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 17 2010 4:00PM