Monument record BSE 014 - Babwell Friary; Fornham Priory; The Vinery
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 85 66 (196m by 284m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
Franciscan Friary, founded 1263, dissolved 1538. Two bridges over R Lark. The remaining undeveloped areas of the site of a small Franciscan friary founded just outside Bury in 1263. The N half of the scheduled area is a rough field and includes a fishpond and earthworks (and a World War II pill box). The other half is garden and includes part of the church, cemetery and claustral wall. There are remains of the Friary wall along the bank which bounds the site on the NE and remains of a mural bridge at the E end. All the various known features are marked & described on the OS record cards (S1)(S2).
April 1962: A S Phillips describes precinct walls & discovery of footings on N side during construction of housing estate & position of blocked gateway. Also states Alerman Olly of Fornham (Babwell) Priory `possesses a plan undated but probably early C19. It shows the foundation of the church centred at TL 8507 6604 with those of several other buildings on the N side'. These were plotted on OS card (S2).
1985: Excavations by SAU in advance of 1st hotel extension, single inhumation and remains of a substantial E-W wall, subsequently interpreted as ?S wall of church nave.
1989: Geophysical survey in January (details in file) followed by excavations by SAU in advance of 2nd hotel extension. Inhumations, small area of tile and wall footings beneath building suggesting a church. To the NE under a carpark area substantial walls also forming part of church and associated buildings to the N.
July 1990: Additional area of former Friary, including gateway (site of) & NW ?ditch (?date), now largely built over, incorporated in mapped area of site.
1991: Geophysical survey in advance of development at the `Vinery' adjacent to River Lark. Shows possible walls along the W edgeof the site. (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for landowner details).
(N.B. Planning Applications: E/89/2887/P - dwelling `The Vinery'; E/91/ 3067/P (hotel conservatory); E/89/2449/P - 2nd hotel extension; E/84/ 2324P - 1st hotel extension.)
1998: Evaluation by small test trench on area of proposed extension identified a linear feature on the same alignment as the in situ section of the precinct and probably represents a robber trench, excavated for the removal of the wall's foundation. A small oval pit and a small area of mortar patches were also seen (S3)(S6).
2000: Monitoring of footing trenches removed a short length of the precinct wall of thr Franciscan friary. The footing trench for the medieval wall was filled with orixonatl bands of compacted gravel, c.0.4m deep. Other disturbances include one, or more, large pits. The dispaalced head of a human femur is probably evidence of the monk's cemetery known from excavations at the north end of the site (S7).
- <R1> SSF10349 (No record type): Knowles, D. & Hadcock, R.N.. 1953. Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales (1st ed). Knowles & Hadcock, 1951, 190.
- <M1> SSF46220 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <R2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner, 1961, 136.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL86NE3,4,5 (annotated sketch plan).
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
- <R3> SSF11165 (No record type): Messent, C.J.W.. 1934. The Monastic Remains of Norfolk and Suffolk. Messent C J W, Mon Rems of Norf & Suff, 1934, 115.
- <M3> SSF46222 (No record type): Excavation archive:.
- <S3> SSF58515 Unpublished document: Sommers, M.. 1998. Archaeological Evaluation Report, Babwell Friary (The Priory Hotel), Bury St Edmunds.
- <S4> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 36 (2) 1986 p151, PSIAH 37(3) 1991 p266.
- <S5> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH, 38 (3), 1995, p.349.
- <S6> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 39 (3), p.366.
- <S7> SSF57661 Unpublished document: Tester, A.. 2000. Archaeological Monitoring Report: The Construction of a Breakfast Room, The Priory Hotel, Bury St Edmunds.
- <S8> SSF57694 Unpublished document: Caruth, J.. 1994. Archaeological Monitoring Report: Babwell Friary, The Vinery, Bury St Edmunds.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (8)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation - Babwell Friary, The Priory Hotel (ESF26223)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by SAU (ESF16117)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by SAU (trial trench) (ESF15887)
- Event - Intervention: Monitoring - Construction of Breakfast Room, The Priory Hotel, Bury St Edmunds (ESF26063)
- Event - Survey: Monitoring/Resistivity - Babwell Friary, The Vinery, Bury St Edmunds (Ref: ) (ESF18221)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Chant K) (Ref: DOE (Chant K)) (ESF13876)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13663)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Sherlock D) (Ref: DOE (Sherlock D)) (ESF13270)
Record last edited
Apr 30 2018 12:30PM