Monument record BNH 003 - Church of St Martin
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8688 7934 (49m by 59m)|
|Civil Parish||BARNHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
A church is recorded at Barnham in the Domesday survey (also see BNH 046). St Martin's Church - site of. Tower partially surviving (S1). Former parish church of Barnham St Martin, out of use by 1682(?)(S3)(R1). Saxo-Norman pottery recorded by B Brown, ? same as BNH 001 (S2). April 1993: Finds of extended human remains to S & SW of church in garden and under extension of tower cottages reported - presumably cottages (C19?) built over former churchyard. Details in (S4).
Also C13/C14 seal - see Med misc.
See also BNH Misc, Med.
- <R1> SSF11500 (No record type): Morley C, PSIA.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL87NE4 (ill).
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume.
- <S2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XCVIII, 9.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S4).
- <S3> SSF19112 (No record type): SAU, Carr R D, Preliminary list of ruined churches.
- <S4> SSF20104 (No record type): SAU, Pendleton C, field report BNH 003, April 1993.
- <S5> SSF59819 Bibliographic reference: Nikolaus Pevsner. 1961. Suffolk.
- <S6> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 ASP 24-AUG-62.
- <S7> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F2 GJM 24-FEB-77.
- <S8> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF13785: POTTERY (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 12 2021 4:01PM