Monument record IXW 004 - Sty Field, Dover Farm (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 940 699 (375m by 324m)|
|Civil Parish||IXWORTH, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Roman 'villa', 'bath house' and well. Scheduled Monument.
TL 9393 6998 - Probable bath house - hypocaust, apsidal ended - found in ploughing in 1834 and emptied of soil in 1849. Finds : sherd of face mask, coin of Constantine (R1).
1948: circa TL 9410 6996 TL 9413 6998C (Partially outside scheduled area) Further investigated after deep ploughing : apsed building plus hypocaust, extensive debris, room with much painted plaster; well (at TL 9415 6997C, possibly outside scheduled area) 18 feet deep, C3 coins, pipeclay figurine, spoon, glass, colour coated pottery (S1) (S2).
1981 : Still under plough. Thin scatter of Rom tile noted (S3).
2008-9: geophysically surveyed. 1849 area of excavated bathhouse recognised as disturbed area with a trackway leading to it. This has perpendicular adjoining enclosure/field boundaries (?), with an additional area of structural remains on N side and three further areas of structural remains to the S of the trackway, one of which may be the villa excavated in 1948. The structural remains appear to consists of Ceramic Building Materials and stone suggesting a Roman date. Also various maculae (probably pits). Appears to be overlain (?) by a probably Med or PMed field system. Details in (S4).
- <R1> SSF22868 (No record type): Warren, PSIA, 1, 1849, 77 (plan and description).
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive : volumes, maps, card index, site plan.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, III 6 8 12 19 38-45 47 48 ; VIII 16a 18 ; IX 1 ; LXXXIX 53 ; XCI 66-75 ; XCIII 44-54 57-68 .
- <M2> SSF42702 (No record type): Erskine R W : Ms notebook.
- <R2> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 311.
- <S2> SSF5767 (No record type): Erskine R W, Ms notebook,.
- <M3> SSF42703 (No record type): SAM file :.
- <R3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 1950, 213.
- <S3> SSF5243 (No record type): DOE, Scheduling information,.
- <R4> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP YI, 25.
- <S4> SSF54430 Unpublished document: Woodhouse, H.. 2009. Ixworth Archaeological Survey Report August 2008 - March 2009.
- FSF16241: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF16242: COIN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF16243: (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF16244: FIGURINE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF16245: SPOON (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF16246: DRINKING VESSEL (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF16247: POTTERY COLOUR COATED (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF16248: TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF16249: BRICK (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF16250: TESSERA (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF31706: WALL COVERING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Brown B & Kilner G (Ref: Brown B & Kilner G) (ESF16056)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Erskine R, West S E & Green R (villa (Ref: Erskine R, West S E & Green R (villa & well)) (ESF16132)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Sharpe W (or H), 1849 (Ref: Sharpe W (or H)) (ESF15437)
- Event - Survey: Magnetometry survey, Sty Field (ESF19749)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF12806)
Record last edited
Jun 8 2012 10:31AM