Monument record LKD 002 - Clamps Heath, Lackford (Roman)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7765 7057 (297m by 216m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LACKFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
1973, Pottery found, (S3).
Rectilinear cropmark system, whole field walked in 1981 and a few sherds of pottery found on the W side within the cropmark enclosure, including Nene Valley mortarium and C4 grey ware decorated flange. Quern fragment also noted (not kept)(S1).
Coins: five AD 310-337 found in the same area and in the field to the W, where a gilded bronze oval brooch, missing the setting, and a bronze ? spatula were also found.
These were found with a metal detector (S2). Other detector finds have been mentioned from this field, further late Rom coins and LSax coins (S3).
1997: Pipeline evaluation revealed 2 ditches one of which may be part of the enclosure, for details see (S4)
- <S1> SSF16442 Finds Report: Plouviez J, SAU. 1981. fieldwalking notes 1981 (lost in burglary 1981). Plouviez J, SAU, fieldwalking notes 1981 (lost in burglary 1981) drawing in parish file?.
- <S2> SSF21635 Source Unchecked: Stimson D. 1983. Stimson D, 1983.
- <S3> SSF10854 Source Unchecked: Marston, G.. Marston G, 1977.
- <S4> SSF50119 Unpublished document: Atfield, R.. 2008. Monitoring Report Generic. Plouviez J, SAU 1997.
- <S5> SSF56046 Article in serial: Owles, E. J.. 1973. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1973. XXXIII.1, pp. 94–102..
- <S6> SSF12988 Photograph: Ordnance Survey. OS, AP 76/060/171 - 172. OS, AP 76/060/171 - 172.
- <S7> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP AVT 38, AVT 40.
- <S8> SSF56122 Article in serial: Minter, F & Plouviez, J. 2015. Archaeology in Suffolk 2014.
- <S9> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Feb 19 2021 3:14PM