Monument record ONW 007 - Stonebridge Ford
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0624 6136 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||OLD NEWTON WITH DAGWORTH, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
'Battle of Stone Bridge (site of) AD 870' (R1).
'Human remains, sword hilts, bones of animals etc, found previous to AD 1844 [TI]' (R1) (S1) (S2). Human and horse bones with pieces of swords, spearheads, spurs and horseshoes found, in dark soil, by gravel diggers, 5 feet below the surface, in a meadow 200 yards E of Stonebridge. A section of ancient road was found in the same meadow (S1)(S3). `Small quantity of finds' (S1)(S3). `Bones of men and horses in great abundance have been found for many years, amid a black vein of dark unctuous mould; the relics of this ancient warfare lie in heaps four or five feet below the surface and are circumscribed, as if collected in shallow pits. Bones of horses and men broken and entire are intermingled with spurs, bits of sword-blades, 2 or 3 inches broad; pieces of the heads of spears; scraps of armour; horses shoes of great breadth, and made to cover nearly the whole hoof; nails and rivets...'. Further details in (S4).
The author suggests this was the site of a Danish battle (S3).
Need to chech sources for location as on AP's and LIDAR the only evidence of gravel extraction are on the field to the north of the meadow.
- <R1> SSF12874 (No record type): OS, 6 & 25 inch maps, 1884.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM06SE15,.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: map.
- <S2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, map 81.
- <S3> SSF7607 (No record type): Hollingworth Rev H G, History of Stowmarket & its neighbourhood AD 1844.
- <S4> SSF50047 Bibliographic reference: East Anglian Miscellany. Morley C, 1931, item 8,478.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Aug 25 2016 9:27AM