Monument record WNG 012 - Hoard - LBA founder's.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7758 8098 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||WANGFORD, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Hoard - LBA founder's. Located on map in Mildenhall Museum as within 400m diameter circle centred at TL 7760 8098 (S1) (S2).
One found in January 1913 by warrener, Peter Trett (deceased). Next day Harry Fuller pulled out others from same hole (S3).
Recorded as 13 socketed axes and 1 broken spearhead but identified in Jan 1989 as complete socketed chisel, 5 complete & 5 part socketed axes, 1 fragment winged axe or palstave and 2 fragments of spearheads (one definitely pegged)(S3)(S4).
Photographed (in fische) in (S5).
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78SE12.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S4).
- <S3> SSF15686 (No record type): Pendleton C F, The distribution of BA metalwork in NW Suff, BA dissertation, Nottingham, 1985, list .
- <S4> SSF20150 (No record type): SAU, Pendleton C, Finds Report, January 1989.
- <S5> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Taylor R J, Hoards of the BA in S Britain, BAR, 228, 1993, plates 116 & 117.
- <S6> SSF11248 Cartographic materials: Lady G Briscoe. MIHLM, 6 inch record map.
- <S7> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF5468: HOARD (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF5469: SOCKETED AXEHEAD (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF5470: SPEARHEAD (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF5471: PALSTAVE (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF5472: WINGED AXEHEAD (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF5473: CHISEL (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 2 2021 2:36PM