Monument record ERL 035 - Gulley/Galley Hill Round Barrow
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7434 7785 (27m by 27m)|
|Civil Parish||ERISWELL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Galley Hill Round Barrow.
1954: `Foxhole Heath. Mound about 2 feet high in middle of ploughed field'. TL 744 778. N Smedley (S1).
21.7.1976: 0.8m high, 34m in diameter. In ploughed field (S2).
1977: A round barrow on arable land. Diameter 35 yards, height 2 feet 6 inches. No sign of ditch (S3).
1980: Scheduled (at TL 74307792, ie, wrong location).
1981: Mound reduced in height since scheduling. Nearer 60cms in height now. (S3).
1998: Scheduling confirmed.
Perhaps the `Great Howe' of Grethowefield (1301), later Great High Field (S4)(S5)
Galley Hill name suggests possible gallows site.
1999: AP (Suffolk CC vertical) shows monument as ring ditch of circa 50m diameter, with central dark feature, at TL 74337785. OS mapping defines mound of 30m diameter at same location. HER mapping and NGR revised accordingly.
Former incorrect Scheduled location now corrected on GIS.
1999 AP show it to be ploughed but overlooking dry watercourse to S. Possibly a second ring ditch cropmark just to E at TL 7440 7785. Cropmarks of two E-W trackways to N and S in field.
- <M1> SSF44672 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card.
- <R1> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. (4), list.
- <S2> SSF18043 (No record type): SAU (Martin E), Barrow Survey, 1976.
- <R2> SSF18792 (No record type): SAU, APs AEC 2 & 3.
- <M2> SSF44673 (No record type): Photographs: AEC 2 & 3.
- <M3> SSF44674 (No record type): Barrow Survey archive:.
- <S3> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <S4> SSF11594 (No record type): Munday Rev J, 'The Topography of Medieval Eriswell', PSIA 30, 1965, (2), 205.
- <S5> SSF5657 (No record type): Edwardson A R, BSEMH per West S E.
- <S6> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jul 3 2019 8:41PM