Monument record FRK 014 - River Lark, Freckenham (BA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6745 7472 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||FRECKENHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Bronze dirk (formerly registered as MNL 029).
Length: 26.8 cm, maximum width 5.9cm. Trapeze shaped butt with two rivet holes still containing rivets.
Found by Mr Jim Norman in 1955 in dredgings on the S bank of the R Lark. "Dredging. Bronze gilt dagger found in mud, River Lark at West Row, Mildenhall, May 1955. I saw this at Moyses Hall Museum, Bury St Edmunds - very sharp point." (S2).
Split in corner of butt to one rivet hole. Crescentric hilt mark (S3,S5,S3).
Eight figure map reference TL 6746 7469 (S1,S9), TL 6745 7470 (S3,S7) corrected to TL 6745 7472 (position of river dredgings) in 1988.
Note Edwardson notes "also flint spearhead, June 1956" (also entered under Prehistoric record).
"Not in collection" on BSEMH map (S4).
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL67SE19.
- <S2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XI, 140, sketch.
- <S3> SSF15861 Unpublished document: Pendleton C F. The Distribution of BA Metalwork in NW Suffolk, BA Dissertation, Nottingham 1985.
- <S4> SSF2562 Cartographic materials: Moyses Hall Museum, Bury St Edmunds.. 1956. 6 inch record map, Suffolk XXSE, A R Edwardson entry, 1956. BSEMH, 6 inch record map, Suffolk XXSE, A R Edwardson entry, 1956.
- <S5> SSF59374 Article in serial: 1955. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1955. PSIA, 27, 1955, (1), 46 (sub Mildenhall).
- <S6> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card (sub Mildenhall MBA).
- <S7> SSF15672 Article in serial: Pendleton C F. 1979. A catalogue of the Prehistoric metalwork from West Row.
- <S8> SSF17816 Bibliographic reference: Rowlands M J. 1976. The Organisation of Middle Bronze Age Metalworking. number 1892.
- <S9> SSF11207 Cartographic materials: MIHLM. 6 inch record map. MIHLM, record map, entry July 1955.
- <S10> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 16 2020 2:17PM