Monument record WTM 010 - Field E of Beans Lane (Sax)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0900 7723 (50m by 50m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WORTHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Possible Sax site found on field E of (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) during pipeline trenching in 1955. Two 'hut sites' were revealed one of which, with hearth, was thought by Basil Brown to be Saxon due to the pottery found in the area; the other hut site was IA. Ditches on site contained black earth, burnt stones, animal bones, worked flint and pottery sherds (S1,S2,S3,S4)(R1).
A grid reference (TM 093 785) is given on OS and IPSMG cards and in PSIA, but all other relevant data shows correct location to be (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for NGR).
Also IA finds.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM07NE24.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, V, 121-123; LXXI, 150,151; XCVI, 56; card index 465; map 32.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, map.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM07NE36.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: site plan (B Brown).
- <S3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card.
- <S4> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 27, 1956, (2), 118.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 4 2013 12:21PM