Monument record HRK 019 - Remains of 2 possible ditched field systems of unknown date. (Un)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 205 337 (398m by 363m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HARKSTEAD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Field system including two sides of a rectangular field which traverse a sub-rectangular enclosure, see HRK 030. Some boundaries are curvilinear (S1-S2).
1995: Area of site extended to include (field ?) boundary to SW (S3-S4). Also Rom (single coin).
The remains of two possible ditched field systems of unknown date are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs, centred on TM 20483367 to the south of Beaumont Hall in Harkstead parish. One of the possible field systems consists of narrow ditches and is arranged on a roughly north-south and east-west alignment. Elements of this field system include the field boundary that cuts enclosure HRK 019 and the possible rectilinear enclosures at TM 20463362. There are linear ditches which appear to represent a different phase of field system at TM 20483366 and TM20393358 which may be aligned on possible enclosure HRK 046 to the south. Some linear features in this field do not appear to related to either possible field system and a number have not been transcribed as they probably represent modern drainage (S1-S5). (S6)
- <M1> SSF43508 (No record type): APs: AGK 06, AGL 12.
- <S1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2033/2 (SFU 11565/GK/6) 21-JUL-1977.
- <S2> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2033/3 (SFU 11569/GL/12) 03-AUG-1977.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copies (S2).
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2033/5 (4839/80) 08-JUL-1993.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2033/8 (4839/83) 08-JUL-1993.
- <S5> SXS50090 Photograph: Meridian Airmaps Ltd. Meridian - Air Photograph. NMR MAL/73044 185-186 22-AUG-1973.
- <S6> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 09/12/03.
- <S7> SSF58525 Unpublished document: Martin, E. A. and Plouviez, J.. 1978. Prehistoric and Roman Cropmark Sites in Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 4 2018 1:09PM