Monument record HRK 030 - Small sub-square enclosure of unknown date and function.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2057 3372 (303m by 347m)|
|Civil Parish||HARKSTEAD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Small sub-rectangular enclosure, approximately 20m x 20m. Entrance on W side. Rectilinear field boundaries, probably later, traverse it. To the S, at the end of a curvilinear field ditch is part of another rectangular field. Within HRK 019 (S1-S5).
A small sub-square ditched enclosure of unknown date and function is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs, centred on TM 20513373 in the field to the south of Beaumont Hall in Harkstead parish. The enclosure ditch is substantial and well defined and encloses an area of 21m by 20m. An entrance defined by a gap in the enclosure ditch is visible on its western side. A large square pit measuring around 4m by 4m is visible sbutting the outer side of the enclosure ditch just to the south of the entrance on the western side. The enclosure appears to be isolated although other linear ditched features within the field appear to cut the enclosure (see HRK019). (S1-S5) It is difficult to assign a date to the feature but it could be of prehistoric origin. (S6)
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: AGK 06, AGK 12; CUCAP CDK 82.
- <S1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2033/2 (SFU 11565/GK/6) 21-JUL-1977, AGL 12.
- <S2> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2033/3 (SFU 11569/GL/12) 03-AUG-1977.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S3).
- <S3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (CDK82) 27-JUL-1977.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2033/5 (4839/80) 08-JUL-1993.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2033/6 (4839/81) 08-JUL-1993.
- <S6> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 09/12/03.
- <S7> SSF58525 Unpublished document: Martin, E. A. and Plouviez, J.. 1978. Prehistoric and Roman Cropmark Sites in Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 4 2018 1:10PM