Monument record IPS 193 - Corner of 55/57 Westgate Street, Ipswich, (IAS 1701).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1603 4471 (26m by 35m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A midden containing Ipswich and Thetford type ware and a sherd of Stamford ware was found. There was also a dog skeleton, turkey (sic), and other animal bones. There were also human remains of Saxo-Norman age; one skull had several sword cuts.
The Stamford ware is described by Hurst (S1) and some of the Ipswich and Thetford types by West (S2). Finds recovered from building site by IPSMG (S1).
The site is described as flint lined well at containing Thetford ware and other 12th Century sherds, and human and animal remains in (S3-S5).
- <S1> SSF7685 Article in serial: Hurst, J, G. 1960. A Stamford ware pitcher from Ipswich. Hurst J G, A Stamford ware pitcher from Ipswich, PSIA, 28, 1960, (3), 297-298, fig 48.
- <S2> SSF23005 Article in serial: West, S, E.. 1963. Excavations at Cox Lane (1958) and at the Town Defences, Shire Hall Yard, Ipswich (1959). (with reports by G. C. Dunning, R. H. M. Dolley and D. Charman). XXIX.3, pp. 233–303.. West, S, E, PSIA, 29, 1963, (3), 233-303.
- <S3> SSF55957 Article in serial: Smedley, N. and E. J. Owles. 1958. Archaeology in Suffolk 1958.
- <S4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM14SE91.
- <S5> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 1701.
- <S6> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 1701.
- <S7> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S8> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. 958-47.
- FSF2301: POTTERY IPSWICH (Middle Saxon - 650 AD? to 849 AD?)
- FSF2302: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD? to 1100 AD?)
- FSF2303: POTTERY STAMFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 14th century - 850 AD? to 1300 AD?)
- FSF2304: HUMAN REMAINS (Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
- FSF39823: ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- FSF39825: CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (18th century to 19th century - 1780 AD to 1810 AD)
- FSF39827: BARTMANN JUG (16th century to 17th century - 1500 AD to 1699 AD)
- FSF39830: POTTERY (16th century to IPS: Post Medieval - 1580 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF39831: OYSTER SHELL (Undated)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 25 2021 11:33AM