Monument record RKN 012 - Human bones, iron knife and iron object (Saxon) excavated by Basil Brown on ridge in field between Calke Wood and Walnut Tree Farm in February 1936.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0202 7505 (50m by 50m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||RICKINGHALL INFERIOR, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Human bones, iron knife and iron object (Saxon) excavated by Basil Brown on ridge in field between Calke Wood and Walnut Tree Farm in February 1936. Local residents talked to B Brown about an old pit near the ridge where "several skeletons" had been found circa 1860. His excavation in 1936 revealed a very decayed skeleton lying on chalk, 1 foot 4 inches below ground surface in sand and black earth. Iron knife alongside body (IPSMG card reports "2 iron knives") and iron object found near waist, drawn by B Brown and described by the Museum as "part of an iron ? fibula". Human bones were ploughed out by J Blake in 1945 and estimated by B Brown to have been the remains of at least 2 inhumations. At some time part of the ridge was removed for chalk, when several iron objects described to B Brown as "frying pan shape" were found and carted away with the chalk. Basil Brown refers to these inhumation burials as Anglo Saxon and describes them as such on his site plan in Parish file, but IPSMG entered finds as Rom, which also appears on SAU HER card. S E West, 1988, thinks cemetery is Saxon (S1)(S2)(S3)(R1).
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XCI, 39; XCIII, 10,17; XCVI, 5,11; card index 258; map 23a.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, map.
- <R1> SSF9997 (No record type): J Roman Stud, 35, 1945, 82.
- <S2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1936-57, 1936.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: site plan (B Brown).
- <S3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 22, 1935, (2), 185.
- <S4> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S5> SSF11099 Bibliographic reference: Meaney, A.. 1964. Gazeteer of Early Anglo Saxon Burial Sites.
- <S7> SSF59942 Index: Historic England. Related Archives/Objects from NRHE. P43826 - P43863.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 21 2021 1:48PM