Monument record MNL 078 - Near Hollywell Drove, Mildenhall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6875 7875 (531m by 407m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Roman pottery scatter with tile fragments, Samian, colour coated, lamps and oyster shells (S1-S3).
Also flanged rims, Nene Valley and 'rusticated' wares (S4).
TL 687787. A scatter of Roman potsherds including colour- coated and Samian ware, fragments of tiles and oyster shells were found by Colonel Kelly USAF, after ploughing, (S1-S3).
Site adjoins MNL 129 and MNL 136.
1987: Details of Fenland survey fieldwalking results not yet available although concentrations and material identified within site, (S5).
See also Bronze Age record.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL67NE6A.
- <S2> SSF16364 Bibliographic reference: Phillips C W. 1970. The Fenland in Roman Times.
- <S3> SSF1542 Article in serial: M. D. Cra'ster, Grace Briscoe, C. F. Tebbutt and D. F. Renn. 1962. Archaeological Notes.. Briscoe Lady G, PCAS, 55, 1962, 66-67.
- <S4> SSF11248 Cartographic materials: Lady G Briscoe. 1960, 1961. MIHLM, 6 inch record map. MIHLM, map 20NE, notes 3 and 26.
- <S5> SSF6326 Excavation archive: Pendleton C. 1990. Fenland Survey Archive.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF11146: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF11147: POTTERY SAMIAN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF11148: POTTERY COLOUR COATED (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF11149: POTTERY NENE VALLEY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF11150: TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF11151: LAMP (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Dec 10 2020 11:40AM