Monument record LKH 040 - New Fen, Lakenheath, (Mesolithic-Bronze Age)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7061 8529 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||LAKENHEATH, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1960: `A few Beaker sherds, two scrapers and pieces of burnt flint and bone were found in a sandhill surrounded by black soil at New Fen, Lakenheath' (S1, S5).
Possibly same as listed in D L Clarke's corpus, number 923F, of Developed Southern (British) group (S1, S2).
?Same as `TL 708 852'. Thin scatter of Beaker sherds, worked flints, 4 scrapers, bones, burnt flint (Grace, Lady Briscoe)'(S3, S4).
Also Mesolithic material, including microliths, (S6).
Billington (S7) places the Mesolithic material as having come from the area of LKH 198.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78NW21.
- <S2> SSF3595 Bibliographic reference: Clarke, D.. 1970. Beaker Pottery, 1970, 497.
- <S3> SSF55940 Article in serial: Smedley, Norman & Owles, Elizabeth. 1960. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1960.
- <S4> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Lakenheath, New Fen, Beaker 1960.
- <S5> SSF11248 Cartographic materials: Lady G Briscoe. MIHLM, 6 inch record map.
- <S6> SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. 11509.
- <S7> SSF59354 Bibliographic reference: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. M 1060.
- <S8> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF4072: POTTERY BEAKER (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF4073: LEAF ARROWHEAD (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF4074: ANIMAL REMAINS (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF51624: SCRAPER (TOOL) (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF51625: FLAKE (Star Carr Type Mesolithic to Early Bronze Age - 9000 BC? to 1501 BC?)
- FSF51626: BLADE (Star Carr Type Mesolithic to Early Bronze Age - 9000 BC? to 1501 BC?)
- FSF51627: OBLIQUELY BLUNTED/PARTIALLY BACKED MICROLITH (Early Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 8000 BC?)
- FSF51628: MICRO TRANCHET MICROLITH (Late Mesolithic - 7000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 2 2021 11:54AM