Monument record BUN 005 - Chapel of St Mary Magdalene
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3374 8921 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||BUNGAY, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Chapel (site of) marked on OS 1:10000 map 1973.
The ancient chapel of St Mary Magdalene is mentioned in early deeds as standing to the S of the town. Walling, in which is a flattened arch, is now incorporated into a modern dwelling (S1) (quoting (R1)).
The chapel of St Mary Magdalene, perhaps a lazar-house, is at present the residence of (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), and a number of human bones have lately been turned up in his garden. All that remains now is a portion of the western hall, with a Perpendicular doorway, nearly perfect (S1) (quoting (R2)).
Mary Magdalene chapel circa 1500 - 1846 (S2).
May 2000: Two skeletons discovered in footing trench for sun lounge at SE corner of Chevington Lodge - details in (S6). For photographs (from Suffolk Constabulary, exhibit D1/1) see parish file and also digital images on T:\finds images\Bun005.
- <R1> SSF21713 (No record type): Suckling Reverend A, History and Antiquities of Suffolk, 1, 1846, 130.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM38NW14, 1967.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S3)(S4)(S5)(S6).
- <S2> SSF11491 (No record type): Morley C, A check-list of the sacred buildings of Suffolk, to which are added gilds, PSIA, 19, 1926,.
- <R2> SSF17462 (No record type): Raven J J, PSIA, 4, 1848, 75.
- <M2> SSF36437 (No record type): D C Planning Officer 31 March 1980, JP reply to same 24 April 1980; RDC file.
- <S3> SSF1414 (No record type): Bowles and Stevens, letter from Worthing solicitors to Waveney District Council Planning Officer, 31.
- <M3> SSF36438 (No record type): note, 9 May 1985.
- <S4> SSF18132 (No record type): SAU (Plouviez J), letter reply to (S3) above, 24 April 1980.
- <S5> SSF17954 (No record type): SAU (Carr R D), file note 9 May 1985.
- <S6> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. SAU, Carr R D, Observation Record, May 2000, ill.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 2 2009 2:24PM