Monument record BRD 017 - Pit Cottage
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7556 8687 (130m by 71m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Pottery, coins, votive curse tablet etc., dredged from river (& river tributary?).
1962: Rom pottery dredged from `a tributary of the river' (probably a recent cut into the adjacent chalk pit)(S1)(R1). According to (S2)(S3) `on river bank of Little Ouse after dredging'. Amongst `a mass of' Rom pottery lists Samian base marked `QVIMTIM', a terra nigra base marked `VI' and a `dark grey tazza of Belgic type'.
1979: Metal detected finds include votive curse plaque, (undeciphered in 1979 apart from `NEPTUNUS')(S5)(S6), coins, pottery & iron artefacts (S4). Further work on the curse inscription published in 1994: ".. a seven line text inscribed in New Roman Cursive of 4th century date....'(Whoever) --- whether male slave or female slave, whether freedman or freedwoman, whether woman or man --- has committed the theft of an iron pan (?), he is sacrificed(?) to the Lord Neptune with hazel(?).' " (S7)
1982: Bronze coin (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S4).
Site faces S end of Fossditch (Norfolk).
- <R1> SSF11316 (No record type): MIHLM, Correspondents 6 inch record map, G Briscoe entry, undated.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78NE27, 1964 entry.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: site reports, correspondence.
- <M2> SSF36733 (No record type): Photograph: ALQ 20,21.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Brandon, Romano-British, 1962.
- <S3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suff, 1962, PSIA, 29, 1962, (2), 167.
- <S4> SSF20687 (No record type): SAU, Plouviez J, site reports, July 1979, April 1980 & 1982.
- <S5> SSF2580 (No record type): BSEMH, Brandon 1981-350, 1981.
- <S6> SSF16382 (No record type): Photograph, ALQ 20,21.
- <S7> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Britannia Vol 25, 1994, Hassall & Tomlin, Inscriptions, p 293-295.
- FSF36350: CURSE TABLET (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF5014: INSCRIBED OBJECT (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF5015: COIN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF5016: (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF5017: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF5018: TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF5019: KNIFE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF5020: POTTERY COLOUR COATED (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF5021: POTTERY SAMIAN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF5022: POTTERY BELGIC (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF5023: POTTERY GALLO-BELGIC (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF5024: POTTERY NENE VALLEY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 31 2012 2:53PM