Monument record BRD 018 - Chequer Meadow; Staunch Meadow (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7794 8658 (413m by 263m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Middle Saxon Occupation on Chequer Meadow (S1).
1980-1988: Excavations by SAU located various Med artefacts and features, including walled building remains and faced stone. A large enclosure ditch surrounded this building (? the EMed focus of the site) and part of a cemetery (? Med or ? Sax). This cemetery is probably part of that discovered in 1847 and partially excavated in 1895-1896 - see Un.
Work on the Middle Saxon settlement concluded for 1984-85 season with the excavation of an island edge. Following the uncovering in 1983-84 of a piled area on the island edge, excavation was concentrated here in anticipation of the discovery of a formal waterfrontage. In fact the area appears to have had an industrial function and was adjacent to peat levels and not open water (S3).
Details of finds & excavation in Excavation Archive (R1).
Excavation ongoing in 1988. Summary details in (S3).
Also Mes, Neo, BA, IA, Rom, Sax, PMed & Un.
March 2017. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The earthworks, former earthworks, soilmarks and cropmarks of this Middle Saxon settlement site and medieval enclosure at Staunch Meadow are recorded under a separate number (BRD267) due to the complexity of the site and the fact that they relate to several periods of occupation and activity at the site, but cannot easily be split into individual phases. See this record and the mapping for details.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 19th March 2017.
- <M1> SSF37128 (No record type): Excavation archive:.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <R1> SSF6198 Excavation archive: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. 1989. Staunch Meadow, Brandon. Excavation archive.
- <M2> SSF37129 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP OA 01, 1954.
- <S3> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 35 (1) p 78 1981 & PSIAH 36 (1) p50 1985.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Interpretation: Map Sheet TL78NE/79SE, Mapping Block 1: 'Brecks from Above' NMP Air Photo Mapping Project and Breckland National Mapping Programme (NMP) Project (ESF25815)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF13727)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13403)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Sherlock D) (Ref: DOE (Sherlock D)) (ESF12202)
Record last edited
May 29 2018 3:13PM