Monument record SOL 033 - Site of undated linear ditches
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4688 9855 (218m by 119m)|
|Civil Parish||SOMERLEYTON, ASHBY AND HERRINGFLEET, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
September 2013. Lothingland, Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
Linear ditches of unknown date are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs (S1), centred at TM 4691 9856. A relatively recent origin, perhaps as field boundaries, cannot be ruled out. One ditch may correspond with a poorly-defined boundary visible on aerial photographs taken in 1944 (S2).
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 13th September 2013.
March 2023. Assessment of the Character and Significance of East Anglian Field Systems project.
The site described above was included in the dataset analysed for the Historic England-funded Assessment of East Anglian Field Systems project. See the project report (S3) for further details.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk County Council Environment Team), 21 March 2023.
- <S1> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. Next Perspectives PGA Imagery TM 4698 03-JUL-2010.
- <S2> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/LA/21 RS 4080-4081 04-JUL-1944 (EHA).
- <S3> SSF61305 Unpublished document: Tremlett, S and Watkins, P. 2023. Assessment of the Character and Significance of East Anglian Field Systems.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Interpretation: Assessment of the Character and Significance of East Anglian Field Systems project (Ref: Historic England project 7216) (ESF29464)
- Event - Interpretation: TM49NE. Lothingland Study Area. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Lothingland, Greater Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 6642) (ESX22031)
Record last edited
Mar 21 2023 2:21PM