Monument record LUD 006 - Cropmarks of a rectilinear enclosure
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 5089 9800 (180m by 190m)|
|Civil Parish||BLUNDESTON, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||LOUND, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||SOMERLEYTON, ASHBY AND HERRINGFLEET, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
Small rectilinear field system, possible enclosures, overlaps into Somerleyton and Blundeston, noted on NAU APs, 1975 (S1)(S2)(S3).
January 2014. Lothingland, Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
The cropmarks of a rectilinear enclosure complex, possibly representing a farmstead or similar site of unknown date, are visible on aerial photographs (S4-S5). The site is centred on TM 5089 9803. The morphology of this site would fit well with it representing a small farmstead/enclosure of Roman date, however it is also feasible that it represents a later site, as it is aligned the same as the surrounding road and field layout. Although the fact that it is cut by the parish boundary would make this less likely. Roman finds have been recovered to the east of this site (BLN Misc – MSF7521). Given the shared alignment and the enclosures and the surrounding post medieval/modern landscape, when compared with that of the large field system also recorded within this field (SOL 010), it is assumed that the enclosures overlie the fields snd trackways, although an earlier date cannot be entirely discounted.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 28th January 2014.
- <S1> SSF11719 (No record type): NAU, AP TM 5097/C/ACS3, 1975.
- <M1> SSF37571 (No record type): APs: NAU TM 5097/C/ACS3, TM 5097/E/ACS5, TM 5098/B/ACW21, 1975.
- <S2> SSF11720 (No record type): NAU, AP TM 5097/E/ACS5, 1975.
- <S3> SSF11721 (No record type): NAU, AP TM 5098/B/ACW21, 1975.
- <S4> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. Norfolk Historic Environment Record TM5097C-E (NLA 12/ACS3-5) 12-JUL-1974.
- <s5> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. CUCAP BQE85-86 02-JUL-1974.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 18 2014 4:45PM