Monument record RMR 003 - Cropmarks of field system
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4968 8788 (748m by 621m)|
|Civil Parish||RUSHMERE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Linear cropmarks, possible rectilinear system not related to present field system, S of church in same area as Rushmere 002 (CRN 01563 and CRN 01564), noted on SAU APs 1975 and 1977.
August 2014. Lothingland, Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
The field system described above is visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs (S3-S7). It is possible that some of the cropmarks relate to a footpath depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey, but the remainder of the cropmarks may indeed represent field boundaries of possible Roman date. The site polygon has been extended more than 350m to the north-east to incorporate further possible elements of the field system.
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 6th Aug 2014.
- <S1> SSF18422 (No record type): SAU, AP AFW 08, 7 July 1977.
- <M1> SSF36712 (No record type): AP : AFW 08, 7/7/1977;.
- <S2> SSF18303 (No record type): SAU, AP ABE 17-19, 1 August 1975.
- <M2> SSF36713 (No record type): ABE 17-19, 1/8/1975.
- <S3> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/930 RP 3129-3130 16-OCT-1945 (EHA).
- <S4> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. OS/70315 V 098-099 11-SEP-1970 (NCC).
- <S5> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. SFU 11562/7 07-JUL-1977 (EHA).
- <S6> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. SFU 11566/GR/34 24-JUL-1977 (EHA).
- <S7> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 21-MAY-2011 ACCESSED 29-MAY-2014.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 25 2014 9:46AM