Monument record ADB 088 - Timber structure, possibly a landing stage.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 43759 57275 (29m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||ALDEBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A (probably) timber structure is visible on the intertidal mud at the foot of the seabank near Collier's Hole (at TM 43755727) (S1-3). The structure is of unknown date (it is not recorded on the 1st edition 25") and, although it is on a modern sluice, the 25" map shows the sluice to be further eastwards then (S4). The structure may be some form of landing (the significance of the name 'Collier's Hole' is unclear) but there is no apparent evidence to support or deny this. The structure seems to be being eroded slowly (S5).
Structure was also seen in field survey element of coastal survey. Composed of lots of posts, parallel and perpendicular to bank. Looks like a former wharf or jetty but located around outfall so some posts may be associated with various phases of that. Condition accreting at time of visit. S6
Formerly ADB 033
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 106G/UK/929 frames 4367-4368.
- <S2> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS/69011 Frames 37-38.
- <S3> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS/72057 Frames 25-26.
- <S4> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S5> SXS50086 Photograph: Environment Agency Aerial Photography. AF/98C/892 Frame 3388.
- <S6> SSF50130 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. 2003. Assessment Report, Rapid Field Survey of the Suffolk Coast and Intertidal Zone. Everett et.al. 2003..
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 25 2013 3:35PM