Monument record WLB 037 - A 4km stretch of sea bank is visible running along the southern edge of the River Blyth, skirting Tinker's Marshes
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 47596 75866 (2332m by 1133m)|
|Civil Parish||WALBERSWICK, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A stretch of earthwork bank running along the southern edge of the River Blyth for 4km, to the north of Tinker's Marshes, can be seen on 1945 aerial photographs (S1). It runs from TM47077530-TM49407578, but is quite fragmentary towards its western end. These banks, part of the flood defences in this area, can also be seen on the OS 1st Ed 25" map of c1884. The sea banks would thus appear to have their origins in the post-medieval period.
Also seen during field survey of Suffolk Coast - breached sea defences at Blythburgh (S2).
1st edition OS map shows bank marking line of new cut (S3).
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 106G/UK929 Frms3072-3077 16-Oct-1945.
- <S2> SSF50130 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. 2003. Assessment Report, Rapid Field Survey of the Suffolk Coast and Intertidal Zone. Everett et.al. 2003.
- <S3> SSF50020 Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey, 1st edition 1" map. 1st edition, c.1836..
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 15 2008 9:46AM