Monument record SWD 034 - A stretch of sea bank c1km in length on the southern edge of the River Blyth near Walberswick
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 49702 75344 (577m by 864m)|
|Civil Parish||SOUTHWOLD, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A section of sea bank c1km in length is visible as an earthwork in 1945 aerial photographs (S1) just inside the Southwold parish boundary. The bank runs between TM49427577 & TM49937491 and would have formed part of the flood defences in this area. It may also have its origins in the post-medieval period, like the bank on the other side of the River Blyth (SWD 033), which is depicted on a map of 1801.
Also found as part of field survey of Suffolk coast - remains of earth bank running along edge of salt marsh. S2 Evidence of breach in 1880 - single bank shown. Now double bank present. S3
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 106G/UK929 Frms3071-3072; 4121 16-Oct-1945.
- <S2> SSF50130 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. 2003. Assessment Report, Rapid Field Survey of the Suffolk Coast and Intertidal Zone. Everett et.al. 2003.
- <S3> SSF50020 Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey, 1st edition 1" map. 1st edition c.1836..
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 15 2008 10:10AM