Monument record HMY 025 - Enclosures and linear features of unknown date, visible as cropmarks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 28408 42844 (207m by 154m)|
|Civil Parish||HEMLEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
1979: Possible ditched enclosures and linear ditched features of unknown date and function, centred on TM 28414285, can be seen as cropmarks on aerial photographs taken. Apart from a number of apparently unrelated linear features there are also three possible enclosures which appear to be unrelated to each other or the linear features.
These include a small complete rectilinear enclosure, 30m by 23m, centred at TM 28394291, another corner of a rectilinear enclosure which may be related to the modern field pattern at TM 28314281 and the partial cropmark of another irregular polygonal enclosure centred on TM 28364282 which may possibly be related to modern agricultural practice.
These cropmarks are not completely convincing as archaeological features but were drawn due to their close proximity to the extensive cropmark landscape to the north of the site. (S1) (S2) (S3)
Copper-alloy seal matrix of pointed oval shape, a central motif of a ship with tall mast on water is surrounded by the inscription *S’SEMAN CALERGE (seal of Seman Calerge) (S4); though the forename Seman is common in medieval Suffolk the surname suggests a possible Mediterranean origin. Found by metal detecting. Included in the Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History annual round up of individual finds and discoveries for 2012 (S5).
- <S1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2842/2/264 (1658) 12-JUL-1979.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2842/2/265 (1658) 12-JUL-1979.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2842/2/266 (1658) 12-JUL-1979.
- <S4> SSF50104 Digital archive: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. Portable Antiquities Database. SF-CB0A84.
- <S5> SSF55626 Article in serial: Martin, E.A. & Plouviez, J.. 2013. Archaeology in Suffolk 2012. XXXXIII (1).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 25 2016 3:56PM