Monument record LCS 114 - Post Medieval boundary bank.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 47365 62923 (152m by 32m)|
|Civil Parish||LEISTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A land boundary bank probably of Post-Medieval date is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs from 1940 onwards (S1, S2). The bank follows the line of a land division marked on the 1st and 2nd Ordnance Survey maps of 1884 and 1904, and is therefore probably Post-Medieval in date (S3, S4). It is similar in size to the banks immediately to the north, recorded as LCS 107, and is probably part of the same boundary system, possibly old hedge lines. Unlike the banks to the north, this bank survives the construction of Sizewell power station, and is visible on aerial photographs of 1975, albeit in a slightly overgrown state (S5).
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 2/BR11/14 14-15 08-Jul-1940.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 2A/BR165 20-21 17-Dec-1941.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. 1884.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". 1904.
- <S5> SXS50090 Photograph: Meridian Airmaps Ltd. Meridian - Air Photograph. NMR MAL/75038 245-246 07-Jun-1975.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Aug 12 2013 2:58PM