Monument record ARW 058 - Remnants of Post Medieval field boundaries.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 22866 34809 (625m by 474m)|
|Civil Parish||ARWARTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Remnants of the Post Medieval field layout are visible as the cropmarks of ditches on aerial photographs, centred on TM22793481 to the south west of Shotley in Arwarton parish. The ditches probably represent where hedgerows have been removed. The majority of the field boundaries are either represented on the Erwarton Estate map of 1770 (S1) or appear to fit into the late 19th century field pattern as shown on the Ordnance Survey 1st and 2nd edition 25" maps of 1881 and circa 1904 (S2) (S3). The partial cropmarks of two possible rectilinear enclosures centred on TM 22583460 and TM 22773459 may fit into the Post Medieval field pattern but also may as easily fit into the earlier, possibly Later Prehistoric or Roman, landscape ( ARW 059). (S4-S8)
- <S1> SXS50144 Map: Chapman, W.. 1770. Estate of Doweger Lady Chedworth in Erwarton. Traced from original.
- <S2> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. 1881.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". circa 1904.
- <S4> SXS50090 Photograph: Meridian Airmaps Ltd. Meridian - Air Photograph. NMR MAL/73044 187 22-AUG-1973.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2235/3 (956/375) 07-JUN-1976.
- <S6> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2234/1 (SFU 11565/GK/13) 21-JUL-1977.
- <S7> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2234/5 (4631/06) 30-MAY-1990.
- <S8> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2234/10 (EXC 19093/15) 09-JUN-1997.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2013 1:50PM