Find Spot record IKL 227 - Avenue Farm, Icklingham Plains, Icklingham, (Palaeolithic)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 76 74 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Hand-axe from Avenue Farm in British Museum (S1). Grid reference probably generalised for Avenue Farm only. Probably same as "a slightly rolled ovate hand-axe (with straight edge, without tranchet shaping edge, 11 cms long) with toad- belly patina was `found on surface of field near river, Avenue Farm, Icklingham'"(S2).
Wymer presumes this to have come from South of Icklingham - Barton Mills road at estimated findspot of TL 755 735 (S2) but it could equally have come from surface of cultivated fields immediately North of the same road, i.e. the field worked by Avenue Farm nearest the river.
Also `solutre blade' found at 3 feet depth at Avenue Farm (S3). Likely the backed blade noted by Jacobi, (S4)
Formerly recorded as IKL MISC
- <S1> SSF17674 Bibliographic reference: Roe, Derek.. 1968. A Gazetteer of British Lower & Middle Palaeolithic sites.
- <S2> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia.
- <S3> SSF11433 Article in serial: Moir J R. 1924. A Series of Solutré Blades from Suffolk and Cambridgeshire.
- <S4> SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. 603, 604.
- <S5> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 22524.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 6 2020 1:36PM