Building record COV 004 - Church of St Andrew
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 5230 8188 (86m by 91m)|
|Civil Parish||COVEHITHE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (0)
Present C17 church erected within the ruins of the late C13-early C14 church. The ruins of the C13-C14 St Andrew's church comprise a roofless nave with side aisles with N chapel. The walls are complete and are of squared knapped flints with sandstone dressings. The windows and doors are gone. A lofty W tower is maintained in good repair and is still in use. A small C17 nave adjoins it on the E side, and has a S porch. This latter porch is in good condition and is in normal use. Published 1:2500 survey revised (S1). A knapped flint from the masonry of Covehithe church is in the Fox collection, Passmore Edwards Museum (S4).
Engravings of remains in 1818 in Suffolk Record Office (Bury)(R2).
- <M1> SSF46763 (No record type): General files: Passmore Edwards Museum, Stone tools etc from Suffolk Aug 1984.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM58SW1 (ill), 1972.
- <R1> SSF5214 (No record type): DOE (HHR), Lothingland Rural District Council, 1949, 13.
- <S2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, Buildings of England Suffolk, second edition, 1974, 177-178.
- <R2> SSF50044 Source Checked: Suffolk Record Office. Remains of church & ruins, (Bury), 988/2/111.
- <M2> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. AP: ALO 11 20/11/1978.
- <S3> SSF18603 (No record type): SAU, AP ALO 11, 20/11/1978.
- <S4> SSF15533 (No record type): Passmore Edwards Museum, Stone tools etc from Suffolk, August 1984.
- <S5> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, AP, CP/97/40/2, July 1997.
- <S6> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, TM 523820/HXXG, July 1996.
- <S7> SXS50145 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. 1984. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.
- <S8> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 ASP 11-JAN-72.
- <S9> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 22 2022 1:39PM