Monument record LKD 018 - Mill Heath; Gough's' (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7777 7167 (51m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||LACKFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
A concentration of finds including coins, brooches, seal box, a miniature socketed axe, and a figurine of Mercury was noticed, particularly after ploughing, while metal detecting (S1). A small spread of chalk and mortar with pieces of floor tile and a fragment of burnt limestone was visible on the surface (S2).
Circa 1978: Tetricus coin hoard (see LKD 044) and other metalwork including a number of votive axes, plus two rolled inscribed lead curse plaques, found metal detecting (S9).
An area of circa 600 square m was excavated in 1981 and 1982 to clarify the nature of the site and the extent of agricultural and treasure hunter damage. A possible building comprised a clay floor area with two burnt clay flues and a spread of chalk and chalky clay roughly bounded by a small ditch or slot, square or rectangular in plan. A larger ditch ran parallel to one side of the building area and contained West Stow type ware. A group of pits, one containing a late C3 coin, cut the building area and contained West Stow type ware. Further pits and a large feature, possibly a well (incompletely excavated) were found W of the building area, and a spread of dark soil with clay. Near the building area one long narrow pit contained large pieces of painted wall plaster (S3).
Finds from the excavated area, including the topsoil include: 91 identified coins, date range AD 70-370 (low Valentinian proportion ?); brooches: headstud, knee, gilded and tinned crossbow fragment, enamelled horse and rider (two), disc (probably figured `Ad locutio' types), Colchester, enamelled lozenge; bronze and bone pins, bronze needle, bronze ligula, decorative enamelled mount, decorated sheet fragments from bronze `leaf' (Cavenham Crowns), bronze foot. Pottery includes West Stow stamped ware, Samian, various colour coated including Nene Valley, shell gritted, amphora sherds. A number of pieces of a colour coated bowl with moulded and barbotine figured scene (S3). Earlier finds from the area (recorded at that time as LKD 003) included one sherd of the same figured pot and an almost complete disc brooch with applied relief decoration of a military scene (an `Ad locutio' type)(S4).
The site is within the general area LKD 003.
Finds from the field to the N (LKD 016) are a continuation of the same concentration within the general area. IA pottery and a pit were also excavated.
The presence of certain items - figurine fragments, bronze `leaf', miniature axe and certain of the brooch types - suggests a religious context. The description of the findspot for the `Cavenham Crowns' (LKD 003) would also suit this location.
1993: metal detecting in area of LKD 018, in the dip, Lead weight, brooch, metal vessel handle and 50 + coins, see (S10) for details.
- <S1> SSF10857 (No record type): Marston, G., Stimson, D. & Morley, R.. Marston G, Stimson D & Morley R, 1980 (and mentioned previously).
- <M1> SSF38541 (No record type): Excavation record: total archive 1981-1982.
- <S2> SSF20690 (No record type): SAU, Plouviez J, site visit report, 1980.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: site report 1980 (copy - original lost in burglary 1981),.
- <S3> SSF20445 (No record type): SAU, Plouviez J, excavation records, 1981-1982.
- <M3> SSF38543 (No record type): description of finds Sept 1981 (earlier finds records lost in 1981 burglary).
- <S4> SSF11520 (No record type): Morley R, 1978-1979.
- <M4> SSF38544 (No record type): Photographs: AJQ 1-3, AJT l 2, AKC 11-13, ALF 21, ALJ 1-9, ALK 12-16.
- <S5> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suff, 1981, PSIA, 25, 1982, (2), 160.
- <S6> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suff, 1982, PSIA, 25, 1983, (3), 234.
- <S7> SSF1563 (No record type): Britannia, 13, Roman Britain in 1981, 370.
- <S8> SSF1564 (No record type): Britannia, 14, Roman Britain in 1982, 309.
- <S9> SSF50018 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Finds Report. King J (MADDC) per SAU (CP), July 1998.
- <S10> SSF50076 Artifact: Bury St Edmunds Moyses Hall. 1993, entry 1414 finds.
- <S11> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 1982 35 (2) p160 & 1983, 35 (3) p234.
- FSF25306: VOTIVE MODEL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF31707: WALL COVERING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF32226: BOW AND FANTAIL BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF32227: WEIGHT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF33222: WALL PAINTING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF9006: COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF9007: COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF9008: BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF9009: FINGER RING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF9010: MINIATURE OBJECT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF9011: SEAL BOX (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF9012: FIGURINE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF9013: (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF9014: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF9015: POTTERY SAMIAN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF9016: POTTERY NENE VALLEY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF9017: TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Aug 31 2010 3:54PM