Monument record ADB 018 - Church of St Peter and Paul
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4638 5690 (164m by 128m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ALDEBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
1086: Two churches and 60 acres listed under Aldeburgh in the Domesday Survey.
Church of St Peter and Paul. Consists of: C14 tower, 1525/9 nave, N aisle, S porch. 1545 chancel. 1597 chancel is described as `utterlye ruinated'. C15/ C16 main structure. 1643 visitation by puritan, William Dowsing. 1853 chancel enlarged. 1881/91 restoration (S3).
Details in (S1)(S2).
Archaeological Assesment (2001) observed vestry wall and articulated human remains within coffins in two trenches opened to the north of the vestry wall. (S4)
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. p. 71.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
- <S2> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. p. 216.
- <S3> SSF7016 (No record type): Goult W, A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: E Suffolk A-H, 1990.
- <S4> SSF51063 Unpublished document: Boulter, S.. 2001. Parish Church of St Peter & St Paul, Aldeburgh; An Assessment of Engineering and Archaeological Test-Pits on the Proposed Site of the Vestry Extension.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 29 2012 5:16PM